Login to the EPF portal. Once you have visited the same you can see login on the right side of the page. Below that you can see activate your login. Click on “activate your login”. Thereafter you would receive a box to tick titled “I have understood the instructions”.
After this step you have certain instructions that you need to fill in.
1) Enter the Universal Account Number or UAN
2) Enter Your Mobile Number
3) Select the state and the office.
4) Enter your company code provided by your employer
5) Please type the characters shown in the box.
Thereafter you would receive the PIN on your mobile. You can thereafter enter a new password, while the login remains your UAN ID. You can download your UAN Card, updated PF – Passbook and can view status of your PF Transfers. Once again sometimes you may not be able to check EPF through UAN, because the portal is down, so you can use the app as well.
When can EPF be withdrawn
One may choose to withdraw EPF completely or partially. EPF can be completely withdrawn under any of the following circumstances:
- When an individual retires from employment
- When an individual remains unemployed for a period of 2 months or more. Here, it needs a mention that the fact that the individual is unemployed for more than 2 months has to be certified by a gazetted officer.
Further, complete withdrawal of EPF while switching over from one job to another without remaining unemployed for 2 months or more (i.e. during the interim period between changing jobs), will be against the PF rules and regulations and therefore illegal.
Procedure for EPF withdrawal
Broadly, withdrawal of EPF can be done either by:
- Submission of a physical application for withdrawal
- Submission of an online application
1. Submission of a physical application
For this, one can download the new composite claim (Aadhar)/ composite claim form (Non-Aadhar) EPF application here.
The new composite claim form (Aadhar) can be filled and submitted to the respective jurisdictional EPFO office without the attestation of the employer whereas, the new composite claim form (Non-aadhaar) shall be filled and submitted with the attestation of the employer to the respective jurisdictional EPFO office.
One may also note, that in case of partial withdrawal of EPF amount by an employee for various circumstances as discussed in the above table, very recently, the requirement to furnish various certificates has been done away with and the option of self-certification has been introduced for the EPF subscribers.
2. Submission of an online application
Interestingly, the EPFO has very recently come up with the online facility of withdrawal which has rendered the entire process easier and less time-consuming.
Prerequisite: To apply for withdrawal of EPF online through EPF Portal, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- UAN (Universal Account Number) is activated and the mobile numberused for activating the UAN is in working condition
- UAN is linked with your KYC i.e. Aadhaar, PAN and bank details along with the IFSC code.
If the above conditions are met, then the requirement of an attestation of the previous employer to carry out the process of withdrawal can be done away with.