Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12 digit number which is provided to each member of the Employees’ Provided Fund Organisation (EPFO) through which he can manage his PF accounts. This number is issued by the Ministry of Employment and Labour under the Government of India. It helps the person to get all Provided Fund (PF) information in one place irrespective of the organization he works for.
UAN, as a universal number, helps the member to assemble all his PF accounts associated with multiple IDs of different organizations at one place. With the help of UAN, the employee can easily withdraw and transfer funds.
Benefits of Universal Account Number (UAN)
Here are some of the benefits of UAN for both employees and employers:
- The UAN helps the EPFO in tracking the change in the job of the employee
- When the employee changes his job, he has to link the new PF account to the UAN and hence the EPFO will update the same in its records
- UAN facilities can be accessed online making withdrawals and transfers easy when one changes his job
- UAN also ensures that all PF accounts of the employee are genuine
Online UAN Allotment Process
The UAN online allotment is carried out under the following stages:
- The UAN is given to all the PF account holders by the EPFO
- The details of UAN have to be downloaded and given to the employer
- This UAN is further passed on to the concerned employee of the organization
- The EPFO web portals help in checking the UAN allotment.
Documents Required for UAN Registration
To conduct a secure UAN registration, you must provide the following documents-
- Updated Aadhar Card of the applicant
- PAN Card
- Bank account details and IFSC
- Identity Proof- Driving License, Passport, Voter Id etc
- Proof of Address
- ESIC Card
Registering the UAN
Few simple steps have to be followed while registering for UAN:
- Visit the EPF Member Portal.
- Activate the UAN by clicking “Activate UAN”
- Provide information about your UAN, member id, mobile number, Aadhaar, PAN, name, date of birth and e-mail id
- Click on “Get Authorization PIN” to get the PIN is sent on the mobile number
- Enter this PIN to verify your request.
- Create a username and password for the UAN portal.
How to activate UAN?
After generating the UAN and PF member id, one can follow the given steps to activate UAN:
- Visit EPFO Website
- Go to ‘Our services’ and select ‘For Employees’
- Now, navigate to ‘Member UAN/Online Services’
- On the redirected page, enter all the required details- UAN, Mobile Number and PF member ID
- Enter the Captcha
- Click on ‘Get authorisation PIN’
- Select ‘I Agree’ and enter the OTP sent to the registered mobile number
- You will receive the password to access the portal
How to Transfer EPF Accounts using UAN
The transfer of PF account using the UAN is mentioned below:
- Check the PF eligibility and ensure all the present and previous employers’ records are present online at EPFO
- Upload the digital signature online
- In order to file a transfer online, you have to register yourself on the EPFO portal
- After logging into the EPF member portal, select the option to transfer your account
- Fill all three parts of the form
- Select the attesting authority and member ID/UAN and click on “Get OTP”
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter this OTP to continue
- Your form will be submitted and you will get a tracking ID
- Take the print out of the transfer form and submit it to the current employer